When you use Braintree for payments, you have the option to create a Paid Trial plan for your products.
Using a Paid Trial, you will create a product that processes a trial payment and then in 30 days, processes the full payment.
**Please note that due to how this is set up, Braintree only supports a 30 day paid trial period. Braintree currently doesn't allow you to modify the billing cycle frequency other than the number of months.
In your Braintree account, go to Recurring Billing > Add-ons/Discounts
You will first need to create your discount. The discount will be the price of your product less the amount of the paid trial price.
So if I have a $97/mo product and I want to charge the user $1 for the first month, I will create a discount for $96.
1) Give your discount a unique ID.
2) Give your discount a Name. (Required)
3) Give your discount a Description.
4) Enter the Amount of the discount. (Required)
5) Select the Duration of the discount. For a paid trial, set this to 1 billing cycle.
Next, go to Plans and click New.
1) Give your plan an ID. If you do not give your plan an ID, Braintree will generate a random ID for you.
2) Give your plan a Name. (Required)
3) Give your plan a Description. (Optional)
4) Give your plan a Price. (Required)
If you scroll down further, there are more options for your plan.
You can give buyers a trial period in which their card won't be billed.
Next you will determine the frequency and duration of the billing.
1) Select how often you will bill the clients with the Billing Cycle.
2) Set the First Bill Date. This can be immediately or a specific day of the month. (The latter is useful for product launches where you want to charge everyone on the same day).
**Please note that if you are providing access to a membership area with a product purchase, users will get access to the membership area immediately no matter how the First Bill Date is set.
3) For the End Date make sure that you select After and input the total number of payments that will be billed to the user. This can be a set number of payments or you can set this to never expire. It depends on whether your product is an ongoing subscription or if there are a set number of payments. It should be set to at least 2. This setting also overrides the Number of Payment Plan Payments setting in the ClickFunnels product settings.
Scroll down to the Add-on and Discount section and click Add under Discounts.
Select the discount that you just created from the pop-up menu.
When the user purchases the product, the discount will be applied to the first payment that gets processed.
The final step is to create your product in ClickFunnels.
Go to your Order page or your OTO page and click on the Products tab.
Click Add Product.
1) Give your product a Name
2) Select Braintree for your Billing Integration
3) & 4) Amount & Currency are determined in your Braintree Payment Plan settings. You might need to enter an amount here though in order to save your product.
5) Make sure that you set the Price Display Override. Otherwise the price that displays will come directly from Braintree.
6) Order Bump is disabled for subscription products.
7) Select Subscription
8) Select your Braintree Plan
9) Number of Payment Plan Payments is determined by your Braintree Payment Plan Settings.
After you have filled out all the product settings make sure that you complete the settings on the Fulfillment Email, Email Integration, Membership (Kajabi Only), Shipping, Affiliates (Backpack Only).
Click Create Product.
Congratulations, you have created your first paid trial product in ClickFunnels using Braintree to process the payments.