** Warning **
Please read through each step of this article carefully. Most errors during the setup process are caused by not following the instructions as outlined in this article. Following these instructions to the letter will help insure that you do not have any issues with this process.
This article is for new domains or when you want to replace your entire site. Be aware that if you have an existing website at the domain you are using, you will no longer be able to access it after following these instructions.
If you have an existing website that you want to keep, please follow this article instead: Setting up a Custom Subdomain Using CloudFlare
There are 2 possible scenarios when adding a custom domain to your ClickFunnels account, depending on your specific needs:
- If you want to use your entire domain with ClickFunnels exclusively, please continue reading.
- If you want to keep your existing website intact, and only use ClickFunnels on a subdomain (such as: go.mydomain.com, where "go" is the subdomain), please follow this article: Setting Up a Custom Subdomain
This article is an extensive walkthrough with step-by-step guidance for adding and using Custom Domains with your ClickFunnels account.
- Any changes you make to your domain can take up to 24 hours due to DNS propagation. This also includes the DNS cache that is stored on your computer. Please wait at least 24 hours and restart your computer before contacting support about a domain not directing properly to your ClickFunnels site.
- Many webhosts such as Bluehost and Dreamhost offer direct integrations with CloudFlare. In order to integrate your domain with ClickFunnels, you must integrate directly through CloudFlare and not through your webhost's CloudFlare option.
Step 1: Login to Your CloudFlare Account
To login to your CloudFlare account go to https://www.cloudflare.com/a/login and login to your account.
After logging in, you will be taken to this screen.
Because ClickFunnels DNS is hosted through CloudFlare, in order to integrate your custom domain with ClickFunnels, it is required that you follow this tutorial to set up your domain through CloudFlare as well.
Step 2: Add a New Site
On the "Getting Started With CloudFlare" screen, enter your domain name in the "Add a website" box
Note: it is possible to add multiple domains at the same time. For this tutorial, please only enter one domain.
Do not enter "www" or "http://". Only enter the domain name itself, example: something.com
After you have entered your domain name click the Scan DNS Records button.
CloudFlare will begin to scan your existing DNS records. This entire process will take about 60 seconds.
During this time, you will be shown an Introduction to CloudFlare video.
After this process is complete, click the "Continue" button.
Step 3: Verify and Delete Unneeded DNS Records
The next step is to delete any DNS Records (CNAME or A Records) that might prevent the integration from functioning properly.
You should delete any DNS Records that are for "www" or your primary domain. Most likely, that is all you will need to delete.
You can delete DNS Records by clicking the "X" to the right of the record name.
Any other DNS Records will probably not interfere with this integration process.
You will also need to verify the existing DNS Records if there are any that you wish to keep.
CloudFlare does not provide email hosting.
If you have email hosting with your domain, you will need to ensure that any A, CNAME, MX, TXT Records related to your email hosting are present in your CloudFlare DNS settings.
**If you are unsure about these records, please contact your email host to verify the DNS Records that are necessary in order for your email to function properly. Make sure they know you're using your own CloudFlare account. You only need to get the proper email records from them.
Step 4: Add CNAME Records
Now you will need to point your CNAME Records towards ClickFunnels
- Select CNAME from the dropdown menu on the left
- Type @ (Shift + 2) in the Name field. (This indicates that you are using the apex domain.) [See Screenshot Above]
- Type target.clickfunnels.com in the Domain field in the middle (please do NOT use your own ClickFunnels subdomain, literally use "target.clickfunnels.com").
- Click Add Record on the right.
Add a second CNAME Record for www that points to target.clickfunnels.com
Now you are going to repeat this process for "www".
Technically "www" is a completely separate subdomain of your domain that was originally used to indicate that a website that a part of the "World Wide Web".
Because of this, a large majority of Internet users still type "www" when entering typing a URL in the browser's address bar, even though it's not needed.
In order to accommodate this common practice, we will need to add a second CNAME to our DNS records.
- Make sure you have CNAME selected from the dropdown on the left.
- Type www in the Name field.
- Type target.clickfunnels.com in the Domain field (please do NOT use your own ClickFunnels subdomain, literally use "target.clickfunnels.com").
- Click Add Record
The next step is to click the clouds.
Make sure that you click each grey cloud under the Status column so that it turns orange.
Now click the Continue button
1) Select the Free Website Plan and 2) Click Continue
Step 5: Change Your Nameserver (NS) Records
On the next screen, you will be prompted to change your Nameserver (NS) Records.
CloudFlare will let you know exactly what they need to be changed to.
**Do not use the NS Records in the screenshot unless that is what CloudFlare instructs you to do.
Login to your webhost or domain name registrar and change your Nameserver (NS) Records.
Your registrar is the service where you registered your domain.
An example of a registrar is enom.com or namecheap.com.
Many webhosts such as GoDaddy, Dreamhost, and Bluehost also offer registration services.
If you have a separate registrar and webhost, you will change the NS Records with your registrar.
If you registered your domain name through your webhost, you will change the NS Records there.
Each registrar is different. If you have difficulty locating your nameservers in your registrar/host, please contact the support desk for your registrar/host.
After you have updated your NS Records with your registrar/webhost, click Continue
After you click Continue, you will be taken to the overview screen.
Your domain will show as "Pending" until the new NS records have propagated across the Internet.
You may click the "Recheck Nameservers" button to Recheck the Nameservers, but it usually takes some time.
You will also receive an email once the Nameservers have fully updated.
**It may take up to 24 hours for the new NS records to propagate.
Once your domain is active, it will show active on this screen.
Step 6: Add Page Rules
While you wait for your new Nameserver Records to propagate, there are a few other things to take care of.
Click "Page Rules" at the top of the screen.
Click Create Page Rule. That will pull up the following window.
- Type in your domain name in the following format: www.yourdomain.com/*
- Select Forwarding URL from the dropdown menu.
- Select 301 - Permanent Redirect from the dropdown menu.
- Re-enter your domain in the following format: https://yourdomain.com/$1
- Then click Save and Deploy.
Step 7: SSL Settings
Click "Crypto" at the top of the screen
Make sure that the "SLL (with SPDY)" setting is set to "Full"
Step 8: Add the Domain to Your ClickFunnels Account Settings
Now it is time to go to your ClickFunnels Account Settings.
Login to your ClickFunnels Account.
Go to My Account > Settings > Custom Domains > Add New Domain
You will see this popup window:
- Type in your domain name in the following format: yourdomain.com
Do not include "www" or "http://" or "https://"
- Select the Root Page for your domain.
This is the default page that will appear when someone types only "yourdomain.com" into their browser's address bar.
- Select your 404 / Error Page
This is the default page that will appear when someone visits a page that doesn't exist on your domain.
- Click this toggle to Enable SSL (Only do this once the SSL certificate is active in CloudFlare, otherwise your pages will not display correctly.)
- Click Create Domain
Step 9: Configure Your ClickFunnels Pages
The last step in this process is to configure your ClickFunnels pages.
For more information on this, see this article.
Your custom domain setup is now complete.
If you have any questions about your CloudFlare setup, please contact support by clicking the bubble on the bottom right hand side of the page. Please be sure to include the domain name as well as the login information for your CloudFlare account and your domain registrar and/or host.